Monday, April 23, 2012

Ever Have One of Those Days?

The photo below is one of several from this ever crazy day, but it captures the fact that I was going to be in way TOO deep a couple of Fridays ago. 

So most of Orange County experienced the crazy down pour for a solid three or four hours on this Friday, but I really got to experience it. 

Grae and I were still house-sitting on Friday and I had been working from this house all week, but I needed to go into the office on Friday to ship out a couple items and take care of some things that I could only do there. I had planned on taking "lunch" at noon, but because of a lot of changes at work I ended up knocking off around one. I knew I needed to walk the dogs before I left and it was only sprinkling at this point. I had just finished getting ready (with the exception of putting on makeup, I figured there was a chance I would get sprinkled on so what was the point, I'd have a few minutes when I got back in). 

The girls (Maui and Cali; two very beautiful boxers), got around the corner and that is when I saw it, the "wall of rain" I was standing under dry sky and suddenly we were getting pelted with golf ball size rain drops. They freaked out and started pulling every direction, when I finally got them composed a bit we bolted down the back alley and into the back way of the house. At this point it was too late, I was soaked all the way through; sweater, t-shirt, socks, shoes, the water mark on my jeans is up to my knees. I told Graeme it was one of the craziest weather experiences I have ever had, just because I watched it coming right at me. 

After laughing at the fact that I just had taken a shower, I changed, put my makeup on for the first time (smart me! ha!) and headed out the door. Instead of going straight to the office, I went to our apartment to grab my rain boots, just so I wouldn't have to bother with getting my feet soaked again. 

Made it to the office with all my belongings in a trash bag, just because I didn't want to have everything soaked through by the time I walked in the door. I got set up, managed to tackle more than I thought, but mid way through I discovered that my recycling under my desk was gone. Now, I know that sounds funny, but over the last three years I have kept a box neatly hidden away so it doesn't make my desk look cluttered or like I am the local dump. No one seemed to notice anyone taking my bottles out of the box; I thought it was strange, but I let it go and finished working on my projects. Just as I was getting ready to leave one of my co-workers told me to check my email, because she knew where my recycling had gone. Then I hear one of my friends over our cube wall exclaim out that her month's worth of recycling was gone too. 

In short, our company took our recycling because it was not within the ethics of cube cleanliness. If we want to recycle we must take it home each day. They explained there were protocols for this and that from here on out our janitorial staff would be taking our recycling if we did not take it each not. Because of our "social networking" age, I won't get into the nitty gritty details of how this made me feel; the fact of taking before informing. The fact that there are an abundance of policies to keep up with sometimes it is hard to keep up and know what it the most up to date. What is done is done, but it only added to this never ending day. 

I finally left work around 5:30 and did I mention I started around 6:45 that morning? It was a Friday that felt like a Monday. Graeme and I ended up making pizza, having wine, and eating donut holes for dessert; all in all it was a great way to end the day with my best friend! 



No comments: